Wednesday 2 September 2009

Top 100 Films Of All Time

Here it is then, my Top 100 Films Of All Time.

I first wrote this a long time ago, so bear with me, some choices are a bit textbook, although I keep going back to tweak it now and again. A lot of the list is based on personal feeling and nostalgia rather than purely quality, which will explain some odd placements.

Please post your comments below anyway as I'm sure there will be plenty of disagreements.


  1. This is Spinal Tap
  2. Once Upon a Time in the West
  3. The Godfather
  4. Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
  5. Apocalypse Now
  6. Fight Club
  7. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
  8. The Godfather Part 2
  9. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
  10. Stand By Me
  11. Chinatown
  12. Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope
  13. The Third Man
  14. Delicatessen
  15. Lord of the Rings (the Whole Trilogy)
  16. Alien
  17. Rear Window
  18. Jaws
  19. The Conversation
  20. Aliens
  21. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
  22. Twelve Angry Men
  23. Blade Runner
  24. Pulp Fiction
  25. Star Wars Episode 6: Return of the Jedi
  26. Monty Python’s Life of Brian
  27. Dr Strangelove
  28. Citizen Kane
  29. Casablanca
  30. Amelie
  31. The Apartment
  32. Kind Hearts and Coronets
  33. Being John Malcovich
  34. Die Hard
  35. The Shawshank Redemption
  36. Fargo
  37. Se7en
  38. Akira
  39. Network
  40. The Truman Show
  41. Lawrence Of Arabia
  42. Psycho
  43. Donnie Darko
  44. Schindler’s List
  45. Back to the Future
  46. Blue Velvet
  47. LA Confidential
  48. Terminator 2
  49. Hero (2002)
  50. Night of the Living Dead
  51. Dirty Harry
  52. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  53. Trainspotting
  54. North by Northwest
  55. The Shining
  56. Memento
  57. Some Like it Hot
  58. Picnic at Hanging Rock
  59. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  60. Magnolia
  61. Diner
  62. The Man Who Wasn’t There
  63. Taxi Driver
  64. Clerks
  65. Princess Mononoke
  66. The Killer
  67. Three Colours: Blue
  68. Goldfinger
  69. The Big Lebowski
  70. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  71. Evil Dead 2
  72. King of Comedy
  73. Enter the Dragon
  74. Platoon
  75. Jurassic Park
  76. Halloween
  77. Heat
  78. Living in Oblivion
  79. The Thing
  80. Reservoir Dogs
  81. Dazed and Confused
  82. King Kong (1933)
  83. Toy Story
  84. Iron Monkey (1993)
  85. Groundhog Day
  86. American Beauty
  87. Usual Suspects
  88. Chungking Express
  89. Finding Nemo
  90. Touch of Evil
  91. Brick
  92. National Lampoon’s Animal House
  93. A Matter of Life and Death
  94. The Wild Bunch
  95. Dark Days
  96. Grosse Pointe Blank
  97. Ratatouille
  98. In the Mood For Love
  99. City of God
  100. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure

3 comments:

  1. I can say, Dave, that I enjoy almost every movie you have on here, which is nice. Some I would have higher than others due to my own little strange preferences for Horror and Noir. Some I don't think would actually make my list but I can't be sure, I have far to many commitment issues to ever commit to a list of my 100 favorite movies of all time.

    I am glad to see Brick on here though, that is one of my favorite movies of the past few years.

    Your cousin,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yeah, I keep changing my mind about the order and stuff too. It's really difficult, because most films are hard to compare as they're so different. But I'm obsessed with lists so I couldn't resist :)

    A fair few of the films are favourites from the fact that I watched them a thousand times as a teenager, so they hold a special place in my heart. I keep thinking I should put some more kung fu movies in there though as I'm a big fan.

    Anyway, good to hear we have similar tastes. keep checking the website out, you might hear about some good films to check out!

    Thanks
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello.
    Good list. Embarrassed to say I hadn't heard of Dark Days. Have you seen Hoop Dreams? That's the documentary I usually throw into lists to show that I've seen documentaries. Why do the bits of Star Wars and The Godfather get their own entries but Lord of the Rings only gets one? Also, interesting selection of Pixars.

    ReplyDelete